Intimacy, and the lack thereof

Ok, this first paragraph what actually written later on. I figured I should warn you before you plunge in that some of the following may be seen as awkward or inappropriate. I really don't know - I think I'm a poor judge of such things. But just so there are no surprises, I'll be talking here about intimacy, the physical display thereof, love, sex, and so forth. If you were hoping to get though life without ever hearing me talk about sex, you probably shouldn't read this. Otherwise, we should be fine.

I want to give to you. I want to connect with you. I want to walk with you; talk with you. I want to touch you. I recently heard a sermon about loving God with all aspects of our being - heart, soul, mind and strength. I want to do the same for you.

Touch is a curious thing. People tend not to be comfortable with it, past a certain point. I like it. I like being hugged and kissed and held. It's therapeutic for me. It's comforting. It's my "love language", I suppose. It's funny because most people are simply grossed out by the level of physical intimacy I have with some guys. For myself, I'm a bit frightened by physical contact with girls. But this last week I met a few girls who are comfortable with physical touch, and it was a weird experience. I can remember lying on a couch with my head on a girl's lap (a girl I hardly knew) and having her stroke my hair. It was a good experience. It felt beautiful to me in some way, kind of like Jesus eating with prostitutes or touching lepers. It felt like a gesture of cool defiance against the tight-assed prudishness of our culture. Or something. Words elude me at the moment.

Sexuality is a weird thing. I guess at my current point in life it's simply an annoyance. It gets in the way of what I want to do, because I think there are some things that are simply off limits - not even because of any cultural norms or taboos, but because of myself. I know there are things that I couldn't handle, that are unredeemably sexual, if I can say that. (Thinking.) For the first time in my life I'm questioning the whole monogamy thing. Wait. Ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll come back to that.

So, four aspects of our being - Heart, soul, mind and body. I'm talking about the body part because it's by nature more visible and therefore more discussable, but I want to take this and apply it to the other parts as well. What about talking? I really like talking with people. Is that a mind thing? Maybe a heart thing? Maybe it depends on the subject and the context. Maybe if we're discussing a topic of mutual interest, that's mind-type intimacy, whereas if we're revealing the nature of our emotions, hopes and dreams, it's heart-intimacy. Maybe. Where does the soul come in?

If I remember correctly, the speaker this last week said the soul stuff was like ambitions or values or something. Plato refers to the soul, or the "spirited" part of us as being the possessor of courage. Maybe soul-intimacy means making you a priority in my life (and vice-versa). Maybe it's the choosing part of love - the "I don't like you at the moment, yet I will continue to love you" kind of love. I don't know. I'm thinking on the fly.
I'm quite reckless about intimacy. It's my favorite thing in the world, and I tend to think that the deeper I can be with more people, the better. There are very few things about myself - thoughts, feelings, etc. - that I choose to keep secret from everyone. If you hang out with me long enough, there are few things that I know or guess about myself that I won't share with you sooner or later. This is unusual, apparently. I don't know why I'm comfortable doing this when most others apparently aren't. Maybe part of it is that I've pretty much never been betrayed by anyone. I don't know. What I set out to say in this paragraph is that I see no problem with being intimate with a wide range of people. But others, apparently, do. I don't know why this is, but I think it relates to the idea of having one wife (or husband) and the idea of sexual fidelity.

I guess I look at physical intimacy as being the lowest of the kinds of intimacy. To achieve some kind of union of the mind, the heart, even the spirit, would be a kind of wonderful and mystical thing, much more difficult than a simple physical touch. Oops, here comes another tangent:

What's the deal with sex? Is physical intimacy a single scale, ranging from casual contact at the base to sex at the pinnacle? Is sex the greatest and most intense form of physical intimacy? Maybe. Does that mean that all touch is sexual to some degree, and that what we call "intimacy" is simply a measure of sexuality? I don't think so. So where's the distinction? How does an act become sexual or non-sexual? I guess intention plays into it. An act of physical intimacy like a kiss (not just a kiss as a category, but a very specific, single kiss) can be sexual or non-sexual depending on the intentions and the interpretations of the kissers. It may even have a sexual aspect for one of the kissers, but not the other. This is where we run into problems with people disagreeing about what kinds of touch are "appropriate", either in certain contexts or in general.

I wonder how sexual attraction plays into the whole thing. It's so weird that I'm attracted to people of one gender and not the other (Orlando Bloom being something of an exception). It's weird that I can still want to touch someone for whom I feel no sexual attraction. It's weird that I can want to touch someone for whom I might conceivably feel sexual attraction in a totally non-sexual way. It's weird that even "innocent" (as if to imply that sexual desire is some kind of sin) affectionate touch can apparently progress very quickly into the other kind. (Oh, if you're curious, my aside about Orlando Bloom was a joke.)

But what's the big deal about sex? Why is it this big secret thing that we place so many restrictions on? Sex builds intimacy, it shows love, so why can this be done only between two people, within a certain kind of relationship, and (possibly) with several other restrictions? It seems that God's got the idea that we should only be so intimate with most people, and that there is at the most one other person with whom we should have a special level of intimacy. Perhaps this is what's repulsive to me about marriage: the idea that I'm dedicated to one person only, for the rest of my life, and that all other relationships are somehow restricted by that. I don't necessarily mean that I'm disappointed about not being able to have sex with a bunch of different people - being a good Christian boy, I never even think about sex - but I'm disappointed that I can't have with many people the kind of beautiful, incredibly close relationship that is apparently possible only within marriage, symbolized by physical union.

Um, I wasn't intending to talk so much about sex. It's an illustration, primarily, or was intended to be. It seems to me, based on the Bible's ideas about sex and marriage, that there should be some kinds of restrictions on intimacy between most people. I don't really understand why this is. Knowing people, being known, loving and receiving love is the best thing I've ever experienced. When Christians give their sales pitch they always talk about being known and loved by God and the opportunity to have a relationship with Him. I don't understand why God would create us with this desire and need for community and then effectively say "this far you may go, but no further". No random physical sex. I say "physical sex" - are their equivalents? Is there "heart-sex"? "Spirit-sex"? "Mind-sex"? Deeply intimate, perhaps pleasurable, very personal things that are or should be shared only with a very few - perhaps only one - person in all the earth?

I'm not really arguing for polygamy - I can see that that doesn't work. It's just strange to me that it should be like that. Is it because humans have a limited amount of love to give, and we can't possibly have the relationship a marriage ought to be with more than one person? Is it because of the jealousy that seems to be inherent in sexual relationships? Is intimacy somehow valuable only to the extent that it is exclusive? The general point of all of this, if you got lost on my rabbit-trails, is that there may be restrictions on the degree of intimacy that can or should be experienced between two or more people. I don't know what these may be or what their purpose is, or how it all may relate to God's strange ideas about sex.

As I've said before, I don't understand God. He alternately befuddles and bores me, and I've never been able to feel close to him in any way. I'm often not completely convinced of his existence. God cannot be hugged. He can be spoken to, but not spoken with. He can be worshiped, but this is not a particularly pleasing or fulfilling experience for me. I know of no way of connecting with God. What I see most in my life is people, and it is only through people that I see (or rather, choose to see) God. God loves me through people. He challenges me, ministers to me, encourages and uplifts me through people. Often I get weary of grasping at God. I've heard it said that Christ forms connections between Christians, allowing us to know and love each other better. This may be true in some intangible, mystical way, but it's only a theory - there is no practical application in my life. In my own life in fact I see the reverse: I relate to God and he relates to me through other people.

It just occurred to me that God doesn't speak my love language. I need touch - this is key. Words of affirmation are also very important, as is quality time. Acts of service are good. Gifts come in last. Whenever Christians talk about God loving us, it's all about the gifts he gives us. God redeemed us. He gives us with many blessings. ("Us" meaning my little circle of middle-class North American Christians with good families and friends and bright futures. Never mind most of the world, who are not blessed by God by this definition.) I don't mean to say that I'm indifferent to or ungrateful for these things - they just don't stir me to profound passion and gratitude. Frankly, they leave me feeling empty. To me gifts without time, talk and touch are flaky and fake - the currency of dead-beat dads and detatched, indifferent parents. Please understand, I'm not whining about this. I'm not all that bitter about it, just a little disappointed. God gives me gifts, and that's good. The greatest gifts he gives me are people who can love me the way I need to be loved. That these people are the gifts of God, the agents of God in my life, I have no doubt. Let them love me and let me love them, and I will be content. What gets me is when people tell me that's not enough - I must go back to God himself and show genuine love to him. That feels so unfair to me. I feel no love for this God. How can I? I don't know him. I'm not angry with him really. I don't hate him, we just have no relationship. Try to get your head out of Church-land and hear what I'm saying: This God is not my father - he's just the one who fathered me. I'm like some kid raised by a single mom who's dragged off one day to see his dad. I can't run up and kiss this guy and say that I love him, as if he were really my father. I can't pretend that he tucked me in every night, that he came to my soccer games, that he talked with me and laughed with me and lived with me all these years. I'm not angry at God. I really think we could get along fine. I could respect him, even obey him. Just don't ask me to love him. I can't and I won't sell my love so cheap. I feel nothing for God, except maybe a quiet reverence or respect. Unless you press me to love him - then I get frustrated and confused. God loves me through people. Why can't I just love him through people? Why can't I die to myself and care about my brothers and give myself up for them and let that be enough? Why do you insist that I talk to this God? Haven't you noticed that he doesn't respond?

Oh, give me religion! Simply tell me what I must do to please the silent God. I can do rituals. I can follow laws. I can even pray liturgy, if you want me to. I can talk to God, just don't ask me to talk with God. It's not possible. I'm weary of my struggle for relationship with him. Like Sylvia, daddy, I'm through.

...But who am I kidding? (I'm speaking softly now, smiling ruefully, sheepishly, bitterly up at you.) We both know how this ends. We've played this out before. I get fed up with God, you steer me back. I don't know. Like a dog who's peed on the rug, I feel guilty, vaguely aware that I've done something that will incur displeasure (that is, something "wrong"). I feel like I've failed you, and for that I am sorry. Steer me back again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not an intellectual by any stretch, but I do read your blog and I do have a comment. I agree with you that it is seemingly impossible to be "friends" with God. You find it hard to love God. I think we need to keep in mind that love doesn't really have a heck of a lot to do with feeling.

"If you love me, keep my commands." I'd say if you are loving other people as you said, and "keeping the commands, etc." so to speak, then you are loving God. Especially since I'm assuming those actions stem from your desire to please him, otherwise, why bother? Although perhaps you do it because you are the one benefiting from these relationships, etc. So anyway, in a way you do get to love God through loving other people. But no, it doesn't stop there. I think we can talk 'with' God. In my experience, the more I talk to him, the more he talks back. Of course this doesn't usually take the form of spoken words, but the point is God is perfectly capable of revealing himself, his thoughts, feelings, etc. to us. And I believe he is willing. Otherwise, why bother starting all of this in the first place? Look at David, Abraham and all the others. They had real relationships with God. They laughed, they cried, they screamed and threw fits, they obeyed, they disobeyed, they basically hashed everything out with God. And he listened, and he answered.

You asked how you could love God when you don’t know him. But I would suggest you can know him. You can know what he’s like by looking at creation and the bible…he really has poured out his heart to you. You can let him get to know you through prayer. And you can see how he responds through answers to prayer and ‘his hand’ in your life.
I know what you mean about the lack of a physical relationship with God. But he doesn’t have physical arms down here on earth, and so you’re right, he uses other people’s arms. Jesus said, “Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these, you have done it to me.” I’d say that means you can hug God back through other people.

I also am a very physical person. One time I really needed a hug and I mean REALLY. I was praying and I was like, “God, what the heck, I need to be touched right now. I need a hug, and I don’t think I’m gonna make it if I don’t get one. (I’m not saying this will happen to you.) But I felt arms around me. They squeezed. They were as real as arms can be when you can’t see them. God totally hugged me. The point of this isn’t to say God will hug you whenever you need that, but it is to say he’s willing to do whatever it takes in this relationship he has with you to make it work. We’re supposed to be able to talk to him and have him talk back. Look at the Garden of Eden. But it got messed up and we have to work with what we’ve got. Sometimes there are no answers to ‘why?’. We cannot know everything God knows or else he wouldn’t be much of a God, would he? But it is noble to be seeking it.

So anyway, I’m sure these are all things you’ve heard before, typical Christianese. But that doesn’t change the credibility or veracity thereof. Sorry, my thoughts were kind of random and unorganized.

Lucid Elusion said...

Jacob;

On this point, I must admit that I do not relate, nor do I feel as though I can, except in this: It seems to be that you and I are polar opposites when it comes to God/People intimacy/interaction. It is because of this that I can appreciate your struggle, your frustration and your pain. When you talk about intimacy & how free you are with it with others, part of me cringes & wishes that I was the same, yet as you have already mentioned in an indirect fashion, the reason why I do not is because my attempts at revealing myself to others usually ends up with me being burnt. "The pangs of despised love," as the Prince of our common tongue (W. Shakespeare) puts it, are horrible. No wonder Hamlet was prone to think about them, as he was droning away about whether to be or not. I envy you in your free intimacy, because I'm pretty sure my intimacy machine is busted.

It strikes me as totally odd how God seems to use people to speak into your life; how you believe you see God's love most clearly through others; how you know and communicate to (with) God through the model of your human relationships. I, on the other hand, am the exact opposite. My whole method of human interaction has been informed through how I have been approached by--and how I myself approach--God Most High. I guess this is why I find the written word to be my most effective form of communication--it has been through this medium that God most regularly speaks to/with me. Not only so, but there are countless other ways he does indeed talk to me, ways that I won't begin to recount here (would be far too long of a post).

Here's a paragraph of yours:

As I've said before, I don't understand God. He alternately befuddles and bores me, and I've never been able to feel close to him in any way. I'm often not completely convinced of his existence. God cannot be hugged. He can be spoken to, but not spoken with. He can be worshiped, but this is not a particularly pleasing or fulfilling experience for me. I know of no way of connecting with God. What I see most in my life is people, and it is only through people that I see (or rather, choose to see) God. God loves me through people. He challenges me, ministers to me, encourages and uplifts me through people. Often I get weary of grasping at God. I've heard it said that Christ forms connections between Christians, allowing us to know and love each other better. This may be true in some intangible, mystical way, but it's only a theory - there is no practical application in my life. In my own life in fact I see the reverse: I relate to God and he relates to me through other people.

This would have been mine:

As I've said before, I don't understand community. It alternately befuddles and bores me, and I've never been able to feel close to people in any way. I'm often not completely convinced of its (community's) existence. God cannot be physically hugged, but at least this doesn't leave open the doubt to the act's fidelity. People can be spoken to, but not spoken with. You can have surface conversations with them, but this is not a particularly pleasing or fulfilling experience for me. I know of no way of integrating with community. What I see most in my life is God, and it is only through the Lord that I see (or rather, choose to see) community. I accept the through of people's love for me because God has loved me. He challenges me, ministers to me, encourages and uplifts me. Often I get weary of grasping at Christian community. I've heard it said that Christ forms connections between Christians, allowing us to know and love each other better. This may be true in some intangible, mystical way, but it's only a theory - there is no practical application in my life. In my own life, I relate to people and through my relationship with God.

Weird to think about, eh Jake? We are opposites. You struggle with knowing God & interacting with Him, whereas that is the only solid & sure thing that I know I have. You are surrounded by people, whom you are convinced love you & accept you as who you are. As for me? Take the words for "God" & have them switch places with the words for "people."

All I know that I truly have is my relationship with God. It is central to my life; He is the reason why I live, why I continue to choose to live in a world that seems utterly alien to me. I look forward to talking with God whenever I can possibly settle myself down from my over-committedness to other activities. He responds to me all the time. Our God lives with me every step that I take and every breath that I suck back. He's there. And the gross thing is that He desires to have more intimate encounters with me than I ever want with Him. That is a thought that I have difficulty wrapping my mind around.

God wants the same with you, Jacob. It breaks my heart that you have such difficulty accepting this, and it also does so for our Father. What's worse is that I know that there is nothing I can do, nor is there anything I can say, that will help you to more fully appreciate this concept. The same goes for me & my relationships with people. Mind you, I would hope that I could actually break out of my alienated bubble of non-community-graspingness, but it is something that I struggle with daily. Christ calls me to commune with the rest of the members of his Body just as Christ calls you to commune with him. I have no answers, brother. I honestly don't. Maybe it has something to do with an underlying fear of letting go, of relinquishing control & protection of a certain aspect of our lives. I can't say, because I'm just as wrought with confusion & befuddlement as you are about community; we just seem to have the exact opposite subjects for our troubles.

Know that I pray for you, friend.

Anonymous said...

We live in a world completely seperate from God.

You don't feel close to God because you aren't close to God. It's that simple. You sound knowledgable in the bible. In other words, you are knowledgable and trying to find wisdom. But you don't have it yet. "Those who doubt are like a wave cast in the ocean."

God Bless

Jacob said...

Thanks for the Comments.

Anonymous 1: it's cool that you have the ability to talk with God. I don't. Whether this is a case of God dealing differently with different people, or whether I'm simply too inexperienced or expecting the wrong things, I cannot say. What I can say is that in my personal experience, attempting any form of two-way communication with God has been fruitless and damaging, and at present I do not see it as worth my while. You're right that you're comments are more or less "typical Christianese" (and also that this does not neccessarily make them right or wrong), nevertheless, it is profitable for me to consider these things again.

Lucy: Your comments unsettle me. I know I've said much the same thing myself (about the strange similarities between our respective situations) but your reminder is timely. It strikes me that in the same way I would counsel you not to give up on community, perhaps it would be best if I continued to seek intimacy with God. Perhaps. The problem is that God is so utterly unpredictable, and while you can anaylze people and inquire of them (however successfully), I cannot do the same with God - at least, all my efforts to do so have utterly failed. If only I knew conclusively, one way or the other, I would be content either to pursue God or not, or to adjust the focus or manner of my pursuit, or to make any other changes he wished. But I am utterly without direction from God on this issue (like any other issue) and must therefore rely exclusively on my own judgement and the advice of others. As I've said before, there's only one guy who knows precisely what's going on here and what I ought to do, and he's not telling. My tentative conclusion based on this is that God's ok with me just bungling through the best I can. I thank you for your words and your prayers.

Anonymous 2: I tend to agree with your assesment of the nature of our world and my closeness with God, with a few exceptions.
I flatly disagree with James about faithful prayer and it's inevitable results. His radical and simplistic views are incomprehensible to me if read as literally applicable today, but quite understandable if read as the opinions of a fallible man, based on his own experiences.