Is It True Today?

I'm not trying to find reasons to abandon my faith. Really, I'm not. I just can't help thinking about this stuff.

I try to be credulous about religious claims. Because they generally deal with the unseen, personal experience, and things beyond our knowledge, I don't want to poo-poo other's beliefs about God. I've never felt the presence or guidance of God, but others believe they have. And since I'm in no position to analyze these subjective experiences, it's not hard for me to believe that God does interact in tangible ways with some people, in some circumstances. When I hear about miraculous healing, exorcisms, prophecies, and so on, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. And when people tell me God answered their prayer, I recognize that I could never conclusively determine whether this is the case, and choose to trust that such things really happen.

But I find my faith in these things becomes much more difficult when I encounter them first hand. While I still believe (in the absence of any compelling evidence) that God genuinely and tangibly communicates and interacts with people, too often I hear of supposed encounters with God that I cannot help but mistrust. (Again, I'm not saying that any of these encounters are definitely fake. I'm just saying the majority of them seem pretty suspicious.) Similarly, while they sound great second hand, any exorcisms or healing or miracles that I've personally witnessed have been profoundly unconvincing, and done much to damage my faith in those I have not seen. I have no desire to disbelieve in the supernatural - just the opposite - but when I see them first hand or really sit down and think about them, I can't help but be incredulous.

I've struggled for a long time with prayer - its effectiveness, its purpose, its value. I wish to say plainly from the outset that I do not understand prayer, that any ideas I might have about it's mechanics or objectives may be dead wrong, that I have never been able to establish a habit of prayer or a desire to pray, and that I have never been in a position which merited heartfelt prayer for God's intervention (except maybe that one time). So don't tell me that I'm confused or ignorant about prayer; I already know that. I'm seeking knowledge here, not dispensing it.

As I've said above, I've always considered the question of whether God answers prayer not to be provable one way or the other. There are just too many unknowns, too many alternative explanations for both "answered" and "unanswered" prayers. It's easy to dismiss a seemingly unanswered prayer by saying that it was not God's will, that unconfessed sin got in the way, that the one who prayed was insincere, impure in motives or lacking in faith, that we fail to understand the "big picture" of God's plan, that sin and free will restrict God's action, that prayers may be answered in ways we do not expect or long after we've forgotten them, that we do not pray enough, or do not ask enough, or do not work enough, or any number of other explanations good or bad, likely or unlikely. A person such as myself who wants to believe in a God who cares for us, listens to us, and is active in our world will have no difficulty finding explanations and excuses for seemingly unanswered prayers. And never having lost a young child to cancer, never having known unalleviated hunger or sickness, never having struggled with crippling sin or physical disability or large-scale rejection or extreme hatred or cruelty or injustice, I've had relatively little to be disappointed with in prayer. I felt the sting of God's apparent apathy a couple years ago when I asked in vain for him to reveal himself to me, but the nagging questions then were how could God do this and what was I doing wrong, rather than whether God really answers prayer at all. This latter question occurred to me only a few days ago.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the question was prompted by something I read on a web site, and (in my opinion) not a particularly good website. whydoesgodhateamputees.com is a longwinded, multifaceted attack on Christian beliefs. The bulk of the arguments I skimmed through didn't strike me as particularly fair or compelling, but the argument against prayer alluded to in the title caught my attention.

It's not hard to find stories of "miraculous" (that is, improbable) answers to prayer. You've heard them in church, read them in the paper, and deleted them from your inbox. But have you ever heard of someone regaining a lost limb as a result of prayer? Assuming you haven't, do you not find this a little weird? There are countless stories of prayer healing diseases, but none (none!) of prayer regenerating severed limbs. (Or are there? I'd be grateful if you could find me one.) Why does God seem to heal all varieties of illness and infirmity, but never amputation?

I think there are two differences between the regrowth of a lost limb and other healing: it's impossible, and it's indisputable. Diseases, even the most deadly, are not invincible. All (or nearly all) can be overcome, and human bodies have been known to make inexplicable and highly improbable recoveries. But there is no natural possibility of healing for an amputee. Human limbs do not spontaneously regenerate, ever. And while sickness is enigmatic and prone to misdiagnosis and misunderstanding, amputation is black and white. If a woman has one arm today and two arms tomorrow, there can be no question that something inexplicable has occurred. No unknowns, no complicating factors, no uncertainty. And while naturally improbable recoveries from illness occur rarely, naturally impossible healing of amputees occur never. This bothers me.

Real Live Preacher tells of how his faith reached the breaking point as a hospital chaplain in his story (highly recommended). One factor was his realization that sick people tend to live when the doctors say they will live and die when the doctors say they will die, regardless of prayer however fervent, trusting, and persistent. Various sources confirm this. And now that I've really let this sink in, it bothers me.

I'm not saying all this proves anything. (As I said at the start, I don't think it's possible to prove anything about prayer.) But it bothers me. Maybe I've just not had enough good experiences with prayer. I'm sure that stories I chalk up to chance would be much more difficult to shrug off if I had experienced them personally. Maybe I just need to have more realistic (I'm tempted to say "less Biblical") expectations of prayer.

I suppose I should make a distinction between believing in God and believing that he answers prayer. At present I believe there is a God who "works all things together for good" according to his mysterious and perfect will. What I don't understand is why I ought to pray for God to change his will, or how my prayers could be necessary for God to accomplish his will, or why God seems to take great pains to make answers to prayer look like coincidences. This certainly isn't the way prayers were answered in the Bible.

But as usual I'm talking to long. What do you think? What do you believe about prayer?

7 comments:

The Sanity Inspector said...

I'm a lousy pray-er. Scatterbrained, is what I am. I rarely pray for anything anymore, just for the grace to fit me for whatever may be coming my way. And that isn't really so much faith, as stoicism on its knees. I'm almost afraid to pray too fervently, for fear that what I'm really praying to are the sisters Projection and Auto-suggestion.

But I do see all the good that prayer of all kinds works in other people's lives, and that's not nothing. I finally concluded that, if I wasn't getting much out of prayer, then that was probably due to my blocked-up spirit. It surely wouldn't do to think that I was simply more clear-minded than everyone else, vis-a-vis prayer.

Anyway, here's a great quote about prayer, from Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's August 1914. The scene depicts General Samsonov at prayer, towards the end of the Russian defeat in the Battle of Tannenberg in WWI.

First, two or three well-known prayers-- "God shall rise again," "A speedy helper He"--then that fluid prayerful silence, a wordless, soundless prayer put together by his unconcious, ... prayers without words, wreathed in clouds of smoke, in mist, moving like ice floes in the spring thaw. ...

He prayed that the casualties might not be in vain. Those whose bodies were so suddenly pierced by lead or steel that they had no time even to cross themselves as they died--let them not have perished in vain! He prayed that clarity might descend upon his
exhausted mind so that at the very peak of his "highest time" he might make the correct decision, and so himself embody God's will that these sacrifices should not be in vain.

He knelt there, his whole weight pressing into the floor, gazing on the icon at eye level before him, whispering, praying, and the weight of his hand seemed to grow less each time he crossed himself, his body less cumbersome, his soul less dark: all the weight and darkness soundlessly and invisibly fell away from him, evaporated,
were drawn heavenward.

Jacob said...

Sanity Inspector:
I can relate to your fear of projection and auto-suggetion. I've grappled with the same problem, especially back when I was seeking a tangible relationship with God. I think this fear is what prevented me from finding what I sought (or at least, some facsimile thereof).

I don't know if the only explanations for not "getting much out of prayer" are a blocked-up spirit or an over-clear mind. Maybe it's as simple as prayer effecting people in a variety of ways, so that some find it helpful (in a variety of ways) and others do not.

I think it's quite possible that a "blocked-up spirit" (though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that) is part of my difficulty with prayer, but only part. Mostly, I think I just think differently (not more clearly, not better or worse) than other people, and have had different experiences.

I like General Samsonov's prayer, though (predictably) I can relate more to the spirit of his prayers than their effect on him.

Lisa said...

we have talked about this before jacob but let me give you a few thoughts:
1) Jesus healed lepors or leprosy (who mostly likely were missing limbs and hands), he restored "shrivelled hands" and limbs which are similar to amputations. i'm guessing there was prayer involved because he was working through the power of God. now Jesus was also God...and this might complicate that answer..but i think God restores people completely....maybe not in western societies but in the rest of the world
2) it seems to that the old guys in the bible prayed and they at different points saw God in real ways, now we only have insight to one section of their lives and maybe that's the only time they saw him, but they saw him...and for that reason i think we should pray.
3) have you ever asked an amputee about their lack of limbs, maybe they don't mind so much. i'm not trying to be dumb, but i think we often think that certain things are horrible but when the people involved in them talk about it, they give a totally different perspective. That they would have only been able to experience God or something meaningful by lacking that limb or whatever.
I remember talking to a wise man who had severe MS and heart disease and had to go around in a wheelchair and he told me that God had crippled him on earth so that he would be crippled in heaven. interesting thing to think about.

I'm sure there is more i wanted to say. but i think that will be it. oh wait...you said why should you pray to change God's will or whatever? maybe that's not why we pray, maybe prayer just changes us in a mysterious and supernatural way. we are changed by meeting with God, working throughthe strangeness of praying to him, learning to have faith that he is listening and he is there.
i believe that God speaks to us, and that he wants to. it's a practise, something that needs to be learned, and it might take our whole life. and it's weird and intangible. it's not the only way to experience God but it is one of them. and the people i know who commit to praying every day are those that are compassionate and gracious people, gentle and wise. they seem to see the bigger picture, their midsn seem to be set on what God has in mind, not humans.

okay, now i'm done.

Jacob said...

Bcakes:
I think all your points are good and valid, with some qualifications:

1) Yes, the Bible records Jesus doing what seem to be genuinely supernatural things such as restoring shrivelled hands and rising from the dead. But of course if I'm not certain that these things really happened they aren't very reassuring. It's also true that the bulk of the most increadible modern miracle stories come from the Third World, so it's possible that God is more active there than here (though of course there's another explanation). But I have not heard of this kind of thing happening anywhere in the world today. It's possible that I simply haven't looked hard enough.

2) It's easy to forget that the Bible generally covers only the most exceptional times in history, which can certainly be misleading when we try to figure out how our lives ought to look based on Bible stories. Perhaps we're simply in a lull in terms of God's tangible involvement in the world. For all we know this is the normal state of the world, puncuated by occasional events of Biblical proportions. But the New Testament is replete with promises of answered prayer and divine power. For example, the Great Commision in any of its forms is inseparable from - even contingent on - our recieving miraculous power. I find the absence of this power very difficult to account for.

3) It is absolutely true that growth comes through adversity and many who have lost limbs (or have other disabilities or sicknesses that will not be healed) are in fact better off as a result. And of course we cannot presume to say that God does or does not have good reason for allowing any specific instance of suffering. My difficulty is that as you pointed out in #1, the God depicted in the Bible is willing and able to heal those who had no natural hope of healing. I'm not suggesting that God should now (or ever did) heal everyone of everything, but I think it becomes problematic if we cannot find a single example of indisputably miraculous healing in the modern world.

Regarding your final point, I agree (or want to agree) that God genuinely speaks with us and changes us through prayer. And even if prayer is a total sham I still believe it's an excellent, beneficial thing to do if you can; I appreciate the value of placebos. My personal difficulty is that I can't shake the feeling that prayer is just a placebo, which makes it very difficult for me to pray. And of course the placebo is powerless if you don't believe in it. Nonetheless, the last thing I want to do is convince someone who benefits from prayer that it's merely an illusion, which is why I hesistate to talk about these issues.

Anonymous said...

You should try reading God is imaginary. God truly is imaginary, as is prayer.

Jacob said...

I browsed it. The arguements are pretty poor. Which is not to say that there are no good reasons not to believe in God, just that this site does a really bad job of presenting them.

Anonymous said...

Regarding God healed the amputee, the closest thing I found is the report by Angel Koerner.
Please click the follwoing URL
http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=5264&pst=559482&archival=