20 is the new 13

And here we are. Finally.

I've been wanting to move for a long time, but I had to design a new template (pretty time consuming when you're picky and cheap) and find a good domain name. If you've never created a blog at blogspot, you have no idea how difficult it is to find a good name. If you're horrifically bored some time, try to think up blog names (or e-mail addresses) that someone else hasn't already claimed. This is how it goes: you think of a great name, you type it in, and you get an "address not available" message. Apparently some kindred spirit out there though of the exact same name before you. (Great minds think alike, right?) You type the name in your browser and it turns out that you're kindred spirits with some dork-face who started a blog 2 years ago, posted twice, and was never heard from again. Meanwhile he's hogging YOUR name.

So why did I go with "twentyfeet"? Basically, it was down to that or "thebelligerentplatypusdancesdelicately", which would be kind of annoying to type out. Every other name was taken. The allusion is to a story I wrote a while back, but the name is ambiguous enough that I shouldn't need to change it again in 2 years. I hope.

I'm both pleased with this new template and embarrassed by how much time I put into it. (I console myself that it will all be worth it when I win a bloggie for best design.) So what did you do with your reading week?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was agnostic for quite some time. One day a friend said to me, "would you rather exist or not exist?" Of course I said exist, because life, with all of it's shittiness is better to have experienced than to have never. He said simply, God gives you the privelege to exist. When you really think about the way the world works, scientifically and emotionally, you just know god really exists. May I suggest that in addition to reading the bible you should also study the Torah and the Q'uran. These are all books sent by God, who has many names. The Q'uran, translated into english of course, is truly an easy read. I finished it in about two months. It is really a beautiful book. It gives you a new perspective on things. If you want the answer to prayer, just ask a devout muslim who prays five times a day. They truyl understand prayer.
I guess part of the point of the three books (Bible, Torah, Q'uran) Is to remind us that what happens on this earth to us is insignificant. We have eternity to live for. As human beings we are given the freedom of choice. We are given the ability to make our own life. If you choose to live a life filled with hatred and anger, one can only assume that you are going to hell, which from what I can garner isn't any fun. If you choose to live a life full of love and happiness in your heart you will go to the heavens and all will be blissful for eternity.
Just some of my thoughts....
I'm sure you will hear from me again and I will be more cohesive. I am tired now...nite nite.

Jacob said...

I'm not sure that I "just know god really exists" because of how the world works. I have a tendency to think that god exists, but while I couldn't tell you with certainty what causes me to think this way. It could be as simple as ignorence or habit.

I've read the Torah, and found it generally confusing, boring, and troubling. (Which does not necessarily mean untrue.) I hope to read the Q'uran within the next couple years.

There are several questions I might ask you, but I don't want to enter into a full-fledged theological discussion just now. I'll look forward to hearing more from your perspective in the future. Thanks for the comment.

Jacob said...

Like I said, it took me a while. I know a few tricks. Thanks for the love.

Jonas said...

Mad love on the new digs. "Wow" does not go far enough, but it is a good start.

~ Jonas

Jacob said...

I'll take "wow".

Anonymous said...

Joel make a killer blog for me. Also, I'm going to need you to be my ghost writer lol. Seriously though, make me a blog with sweet artsy smoke or something. I hear it's popular right now.

Jacob said...

Ok.

Michelle said...

I really like the template Jacob. It's lovely and artsy and stuff. Great job. definately NOT a waste of a reading week.

Jacob said...

Thanks Michigan. I'll withhold my final judgement on whether I wasted reading week until I know if I passed French this term.