Things I Thought this Week

This will be random.

I'm reading Soul Survivor by Phillip Yancy. It's good. He talks about some really interesting people, especially Gandhi, about whom I knew very little. Gandhi is my new hero.

It's good that I'm not counseling. In some ways I wish I was, just because pounding nails isn't very stretching, but I know that I couldn't do a lot of the things that would be expected of me as a counselor, not the least of which is singing certain songs. Some Christian music is really awesome, but some of it is disgusting.

I'm reminded that I have far greater control over my emotions than I like to think. Under most circumstances I can dismiss anger, jealousy or infatuation through conscious choice. This is very cool.

Sometimes I think I'm not much more heretical than most of my friends. Often I'll tell someone about my newest divergence from orthodoxy only to see them nod in agreement. I think the biggest difference between me and many of the people who are happily counseling and preaching at camps is that I'm up-front and vocal about my unorthodoxy, and most people just keep their mouths shut.

I have no idea what I'd say to a kid if one were to ask me a about a spiritual issue on which my view diverges from my church's. I don't think it's entirely healthy (or entirely possible) for a young kid to think the way I do. To be blunt and truthful about my beliefs with an 8 year old would be irresponsible. But I'd feel like a liar if I fed them some Church doctrine I completely disbelieve. I like the idea that we're not obligated to always tell "the truth" but rather to say what is beneficial to the hearer at that specific point in time. I suppose the problem is I have no idea what that might be. I guess I'll have to sort that out before I become I father.

The idea of relationship with God amuses me to no end. It used to drive me crazy, but now it mostly seems comical. Imagine having a relationship with a being whose very existence is a matter of debate! (I don't mean that to sound condescending to those who do have such a relationship. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying the whole thing strikes me as funny.)

Next week I'm doing maintenance again. I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but I'm certainly not dreading it either. It will be good.

And now I am tired. And now I am going to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jacob -- reading through your blog made me think of a sermon I heard on Sunday evening. I've been going to Millwoods Penn. with my brother recently... and some of what CS (the main preacher for this service) sounds similar to some of the things you say... except from a different angle. Here's the website link: http://www.mwpa.com/ ... if you click on "Sermon Downloads" ... you can have a listen to some of his. They're a little behind in posting them... but they're all worth a listen to at one point or another :) Gotta go, supper time! I'll say more later :)

JoKeR said...

One response you can make to such an inquiry is to ask what they think. "Is there really a Santa Claus?" "What do you think?" You haven't actively shattered any expectations that others have tried to instill, but you haven't abandoned your own beliefs either.

If they want to pursue it further it is possible to present "Some people think that ..." type statements without actively denouncing what they believe or affirming something that their parents or spiritual leaders would frown upon.

Good luck!