The Word made Flesh

From Come Be My Light, part of a poem by Mother Teresa in response to Jesus' question, "Who do you say that I am?" (Mt 16:15):

Jesus is the Word made Flesh.
Jesus is the Bread of Life.
Jesus is the Victim offered for our sins on the Cross.
Jesus is the Sacrifice offered at the Holy Mass
for the sins of the world and mine.
Jesus is the Word--to be spoken.
Jesus is the Truth--to be told.
Jesus is the Way--to be walked.
Jesus is the Light--to be lit.
Jesus is the Life--to be lived.
Jesus is the Love--to be loved.
Jesus is the Joy--to be shared.
Jesus is the Peace--to be given.
Jesus is the Bread of Life--to be eaten.
Jesus is the Hungry--to be fed
Jesus is the Thirsty--to be satiated.
Jesus is the Naked--to be clothed.
Jesus is the Homeless--to be taken in.
Jesus is the Sick--to be healed.
Jesus is the Lonely--to be loved.
Jesus is the Unwanted--to be wanted.
Jesus is the Leper--to wash his wounds.
Jesus is the Beggar--to give him a smile.
Jesus is the Drunkard--to listen to him.
Jesus is the Retarded--to protect him.
Jesus is the Little One--to embrace him.
Jesus is the Blind--to lead him.
Jesus is the Dumb--to speak for him.
Jesus is the Crippled--to walk with him.
Jesus is the Drug Addict--to befriend him.
Jesus is the Prostitute--to remove from danger and befriend.
Jesus is the Prisoner--to be visited.
Jesus is the Old--to be served.

It reminds me of that story from Matthew 25 (the implications of which struck me a few years ago).

If you're aware of the central theme of this book - Mother Teresa's spiritual darkness - you would probably assume that the title is her plea to God. In fact, the opposite is true. "Come, be My light" were the words by which Christ called Mother Teresa to Calcutta.

I think the call can be understood in two ways. The obvious meaning is that Mother Teresa was to be a conduit of Christ's light to the poor, through her compassion and service. As she says above, "Jesus is the Light--to be lit."

But the latter part of the poem reveals a second meaning: Jesus is not only the source of the light but also, in some sense, the one to whom we bring light. When we feed and clothe and love other people, in a very real sense we are feeding and clothing and loving Christ.

This is something I need to work on - seeing Jesus in the people around me, and especially those in need. There is no need for me to discern who is deserving of my love. Every day I see Christ, as Mother Teresa said, in many "distressing disguises". My highest calling is to love him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, however he may present himself to me.

I pray that my eyes may be opened, to see the Word made Flesh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you are very correct; and I think that so is another influential voice of the 20th century: Martin Luther King Jr.:


"What is needed is a realization that power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love."
—Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jacob said...

I think I agree with Dr. King, as long as "power" includes the abilities that all of us have to practice love and implement justice. Certainly, it is of great importance that those who have immense power be guided and motivated by love, but it is no less important that each of us use the power that we have to love others. These small, individual acts of love are far from "sentimental and anemic".

But I agree that much of what we commonly call love is sentimental and anemic, because we do not choose to act upon it. Goodwill and feelings of passion or compassion don't amount to much if they do not cause us to practice love with whatever power we possess.

Filth- Man said...

I agree with Jacob (at least, I think that's what your saying): actions, not feelings, are what matters when it comes to "love". Feelings are nice but ultimately no more moral or immoral than feelings of happiness, anger, frustration, dismay, etc.

If I "love" my wife, but treat her like crap, what good does it do anyone? If a student irritates me to no end, but I continue to treat him with respect and compassion, si that not a more "real" expression of love? I think so...

I'm hoping it works the same way when it comes to God. I have trouble feeling "love" for God, because he's invisible and scary and runs the universe without asking for my imput. But I can try to obey God, to serve God... hopefully that counts.