Just Briefly

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?


In other news, this last week was kind of difficult. The work was good, I enjoyed myself, but I felt very much at odds with the other staff. The speaker said a lot of things I thought he shouldn't have, and it made me wonder what I was doing there. Why do I invest so much of my time and energy in things I don't really believe in?


That's all I have for you.

6 comments:

Filth- Man said...

I like your Bible verse, as it is very true...

Sucks you were at odds with other staff. Was it over theological stuff or did you just not get along?

If the stuff the speaker said was standard Christian theology that you don't agree with (ie faith in Jesus is the only way to heaven) you're probably stuck. If he said something that was contrary to your understanding of the Bible, or harmful/misleading to the kids in some way, you can call him on it.

Forgive me if I was wrong. but you were doing maintanance-type work, no? In that case agreeing with what is said or taught is probably not necessary to do a good job. If you feel you're so opposed to what is being said that you no longer want to support the camp, go elsewhere, lots of people would appreciate your help I'm sure. If all else fails you can always get paid work at a regular worksite.

Michelle said...

i understand Joel. sorry its tough.

Jacob said...

We got along, it's just that the other staff were really focused on getting kids "saved". Of course this isn't unusual, but I'm having more and more trouble caring about people making professions of faith. Especially kids.

The speaker's theme was creation, and he talked a bit about Young Earth stuff, which really bugged me. I don't care if people believe in that stuff, but I don't think it's the kind of thing we should be pushing at camp. At least, if people ARE pushing that at camp, I'd prefer not to be a part of it.

So yes, I'm considering whether I want to be involved in these ministries in the future.

Filth- Man said...

I'd imagine the apropriateness of talking about young-earth creationism depends largely on the age of the kids. Talking to Bio 30 students about it is a lot different than grade schoolers.

Jacob said...

Ya, what bugged me was that he was presenting it as truth, not his opinion, to kids who were too young to think this stuff through for themselves.

BruceA said...

I agree completely with your concerns about presenting young earth creationism (YEC) as truth to kids. I've seen too many people who have grown up with the idea that to reject YEC is to reject Christianity, and have therefore walked away from Christ simply because they could not accept YEC. The Christian faith is bigger than that.