Ages Four and Up?

Something struck me in church today. We had a baptism, and one of the guys who was getting dunked gave a little testimony. He mentioned that he became a Christian at age four or five, at his parent's prompting, and that he wasn't baptized at that time because his parents figured he was to young to grasp the significance of baptism.

So here's my question: why is a four-year-old old enough to become a Christian, but not old enough to be baptized? What is it about these two actions that makes the former suitable for a kid who can't tie his own shoes, and the latter not appropriate until adolescence? I don't mean to pick on this guy or his family - I think a lot of Christians (obviously excluding those who baptize infants, or who believe baptism is necessary for salvation) have the idea that baptism requires a level of maturity (physically? spiritually? intellectually?) that repentance (whatever we think that means) does not.

I really don't understand this position. Can anyone explain it to me? What are your thoughts on the matter?

4 comments:

Krista said...

I was baptised at age 6. A lot of people thought I was too young to "understand it." But my parents supported me, and looking back now, I realise that I definitely understood what baptism in relation to my salvation meant. In actuality, I think it meant more to me at that time in my life than in any other.

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped that I get a friends link on your page now... that's all I have to say.

David Hengen said...

i was baptized right when i became saved at age 5. i knew i was supposed to get baptized because the bible says, but it definitely wasn't this big spiritual graduation of sorts. baptism has always seemed straightforward to me, but now everyone talks about it likes it's a big deal. i thought it was more of a symbolic act of obedience and declaration. i'm not sure anymore.

i agree with you on the whole "whats the difference between being mature enough to make the baptism decision versus the salvation decision". i'm fairly sure that parents just want to see their kids get saved. once they got their ticket to salvation i think parents don't mind letting their kids wait on the baptism issue.

of course, that begs the question about whether or not a person is really saved until they get baptized. i think they are saved, even if they aren't baptized. but i've heard some people argue agains't it. anyways, this is way too long for what i had to say.

loves,

Filth- Man said...

This may not be the "Biblical" answer but it seems to me any emphasis on baptism beyond the symbolic is silly. In that case, when you get baptised doesn't matter so much. The commitment to Christ which is supposed to follow baptism (and salvation for that matter) matters.

Michelle said...

i don't think we see baptism the way it was meant to be when it was initially instituted. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that if someone is able to choose salvation, they should be able to choose baptism as well, and the two are meant to go hand in hand as far as I can see.

I was baptised in grade 8. I "accepted Jesus into my heart" when I was 3.

I don't know what to say. Things are weird and we are silly people.