Shane's Reply

Those who read Jeff's comments following my recent post on The Irresistible Revolution may be interested to know that I emailed Shane Clairborne about his concerns, and he sent me a response. He said he chose to publish with Zondervan intentionally, as an act of "revolutionary subordination" (John Yoder's phrase). He didn't want to "preach to the choir", but to mainstream evangelical culture, and Zondervan was willing to publish what he wanted to say. Similarly, the cover is designed to be something that might catch the eyes of kids within the Christian subculture (Shane was once one of them). He also says they wanted his face on the cover, but "I told them that it had to look like I was hiding behind the cover, could not show over half my face... And that there had to be a collage of other beautiful faces on the inside cover as you open it up."

- Jacob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Verrrrrrry interesting. Way to go, Joel, on doing the leg work here. Obviously, we are all loathe to privilege the author over any other reader, but still, that's a pretty interesting response. Pretty strong answers. And citing John Yoder can never be a bad thing.

I feel all sheepish now...

Jacob said...

No need to feel sheepish. I thought your concerns were quite valid (so did Shane, if we can believe him). I'm glad we asked.

Anonymous said...

good thoughts guys...

i still have yet to read said book... perhaps over Christmas. Although I am already pledged to read The Brothers Karamazov which may take up a significant portion of the holidays...