The Plan Bs

This parable really bothers me:

"For there was once a man who threw a great dinner party and invited many. When it was time for dinner, he sent out his servant to the invited guests, saying, 'Come on in; the food's on the table.'

"Then they all began to beg off, one after another making excuses. The first said, 'I bought a piece of property and need to look it over. Send my regrets.'

"Another said, 'I just bought five teams of oxen, and I really need to check them out. Send my regrets.'

"And yet another said, 'I just got married and need to get home to my wife.'

"The servant went back and told the master what had happened. He was outraged and told the servant, 'Quickly, get out into the city streets and alleys. Collect all who look like they need a square meal, all the misfits and homeless and wretched you can lay your hands on, and bring them here.'

"The servant reported back, 'Master, I did what you commanded - and there's still room.'

"The master said, 'Then go to the country roads. Whoever you find, drag them in. I want my house full! Let me tell you, not one of those originally invited is going to get so much as a bite at my dinner party.'"

- Luke 14:16-24 (Message)

For me this raises all kinds of questions: Is the banquet hall of God not big enough for everyone? Did God make a guest list of certain people he wanted at His table? Was this list made up of privileged people - the type who can buy property and oxen - and not "the misfits and homeless and wretched"? (This seems strange in light of what Jesus said immediately before.) Were religious Jews God's intended guests, and was the acceptance of sinners and Samaritans His plan B? (Paul seems to think so.) Did God have no interest in those who really need a good meal until His well-fed friends shunned him? Did He invite - or "drag in", another big theological issue - the poor and ragged out of kindness and love, or did He want to fill His table simply to thumb his nose at the wealthy no-shows? If there had been enough bums in the city streets, would He ever have sent his servant to those in the country? And what of those who were neither invited initially nor found in the servant's last-minute scramble?

On all these points the story seems dramatically at odds with our cherished beliefs and intuitions about God. I find it particularly hard to believe that the prostitutes and sinners Jesus so radically and graciously embraced are God's plan Bs, his second choices for salvation. On the other hand, such a view wouldn't be wholly at odds with scripture. What do you make of this?

I've struggled with the theology of Jesus' parables before (fleshed out here), and sometimes I wonder if I subject them to too much scrutiny. Maybe they're just crude, off-the-cuff stories meant to explain a basic point without concern for any of the peripheral details. Do you think the only conclusion we're meant to draw from this story is that God is gracious to ne'er-do-wells? Couldn't a story be told that illustrates this point without all the nasty and (hopefully) misleading details of this one?

Maybe the parable isn't about what we think it is. I know, for example, that "God's kingdom" doesn't always mean the place we go when we die, and that many Biblical statements that seem clear and straightforward to my ears are understood differently by many who are more knowledgeable than myself. And I'm sure there are many who can explain this difficult parable in the light of clearer passages, or, to be cynical, passages that more clearly corroborate our cherished dogmas. Perhaps the real lesson to be learned is that Jesus meant for his parables to confuse people.

8 comments:

David Hengen said...

i always thought that parable was about the jews. they reject Christ so his word is sent out to the gentiles. but i guess the word would have been sent out to the gentiles regardless. do you see how the parable parallels Christ's relationship with the Jews?

Jacob said...

Yes, that's how I've understood it too. The problem that raises for me (besides the claim that "not one of those originally invited" will get in) is that God's redemption of gentiles seems to have come about only because of the Jews' rejection. Are non-Jews (most of the world) God's second choice for reception of grace? Would he rather have just stuck with the chosen people, the rest of humanity be damned?

Lucid Elusion said...

hey, jake: maybe this is just me, but often, i tend to reconcile such seeming discrepancies by attributing the extratemporality of God to the whole picture. i understand the point you're raising, and it would stand as an irrefutable one, were He bound to the constraints of time. personally, order & 'preference' in the Bible (like the whole 'first for the jews & then for the gentiles' dealie & the parable you mentioned) really is of trivial interest to me. i tend to view such things in the following light: since God is above & beyond time, the fact that something comes afterwards doesn't make it any less significant or any less intentional. rather, since God has created all things in all states of time (incl. the future), he knew beforehand how things would pan out & just chose to have it roll that way.

but that's just me. i'd like to think that it makes sense, & i'd hope that such a perspective is sufficient for you to 'accept' ...if even tentatively, but since i know you too well, it will probably just raise the 'that's just a convenient excuse' flag in your head :). but oh well. maybe my expectations are flawed?

love ya,

ℓℯ

Anonymous said...

"Did God make a guest list of certain people he wanted at His table? Was this list made up of privileged people - the type who can buy property and oxen - and not "the misfits and homeless and wretched"?"

I think that the "privaleged" were the jews who were God's chosen people... privaleged therefore, and the first to have salvation presented to them... who also rejected it(Christ). I think it was God's plan all along to extent salvation to all(gentiles and jews).. and I must admit that I don't understand why the jews got the first go at it... but that's how I understand it.

So I don't (want to) think that the "poor and bedragled" are God's second choice.

I, myself, have a hesitancy in looking too deeply into the parables. I think about all the allegories and parallels and metaphors that I like so much... and none of them are perfect. YOu can only take them so far, right? So I think the same may go for Jesus parables. On one hand, I do believe they were divine... so I suppose there IS the possibility that they were flawless, straight-across parallels that you can take to the nth degree... but at the same time it seems scary to do that... with a story. I dunno.

And yes, I think it is VERY possible that this parable, as well as the rest of them, do NOT in fact mean what we think they do. God is much bigger than me. I can't fit him into by head, and I don't expect that his stories are much different. Far-surpassing. I imagine that these things are all far simpler, far more complicated, more straight-forward and more endless than I can ever contemplate.

Filth- Man said...

you know whatI think? You are reading into it waaayyyyy too much... the details may not have a theological point at all.. every good story has details, after all.
I think the point of this story is that some people are too busy/occupied/whatever to do the will of God... with perhaps a side point being that our posessions/jobs/whatever can get in the way.

Jacob said...

LE: It's a good point that if God is "everywhen" at once (which is up for debate) there's less grounds for the charge of favoritism to Jews. (Unless we speculate on the eternal destiny of pre-Christ Gentiles, which I'd rather not do.) My difficulty is that while I'd like to believe that God has always intended to welcome Gentiles, this parable seems to say something very different. I think if we want to reconcile this parable with the idea of an omnibenevolent, extratemporal God, we must admit that the parable is very innacurate or misleading in its details. This may in fact be true - all analogies break down at some point - but it seems that Jesus could have easily made the same basic point with a far less problematic story.

Jacob said...

Michigan and Jens: I agree that these stories may not have been meant to be examined as closely as I have. But as I said, I don't think it would be difficult to create a similar story without most of the details that I find troubling. And while in some cases it's a fairly minor detail of a parable that bothers me, in this case I think it's a fairly central one: that the host has no interest in the down-and-outs until he'd been stood up by his chosen guests. As LE mentioned, this couldn't be an entirely accurate representation of God if he's extratemporal, but then why would Jesus tell a story that - at least to me - so strongly gives this impression?

If anyone's unclear on why I think the grusome details of this story may have been included deliberatly (not thrown in thoughtlessly as filler), I could probably write an adjusted parable that has the same basic point but doesn't smack of divine favoritism, insincere philanthropy... and temporality.

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... yeah, okay.