The Paper Pope

[FYI: This post's original title was "The Evangelical Pope". It was meant to be an immediate sequel to this post from June, but it somehow got forgotten and was only recently rediscovered and completed. I read A Generous Orthodoxy over the summer and it surprised me by addressing the exact same issue, though under a slightly catchier title, which I've decided to adopt.]

I've heard a lot of Protestant Evangelical-types bad-mouth Catholics for the whole Pope thing. I guess they don't like the idea of some guy in a big hat telling other Christians what's right and what's wrong. Christians, each of us being priests of God, each of us being indwelt by the Spirit, need no intermediary to inform us of God's will. We should each be able to pray and consult our Bibles and discern the truth for ourselves. (Never mind that we all disagree after doing so. Those who disagree with me must have unconfessed sin or something interfering with their Spirit-radar.)

About that Bible... Oh, first maybe I should say this again just to cover my ass: I like the Bible. It's a good book, and you should all read it. Of course I don't agree with everything it says (neither do you) but on the whole, it's a really useful - even "indispensable" - tool for learning about God.

That said, I wonder if we've made the Bible into something it's not. Picking up on the Pope thing, my guess is that the Catholics like all their church structure with the hierarchy and the traditions and the infallible Pope because it gives them security. Want to know where you stand on a tough issue? Look to the Pope. Want to know how to do Church? Just do what we've always done. And the really great thing about centralized power is that not only do you know what to believe, but you know what everyone else should believe. No need for infighting, no excuse for schisms, nothing but harmony and solidarity. Sure, it doesn't work perfectly, but it works a lot better than anything those fragmented, infighting, oh-so-aptly-named Protestants have come up with.

With the caveat that I've never actually talked to a Catholic about this particular issue, I imagine the following conversation between a Catholic and a Protestant:
The Catholic speaks first. "I know you're suspicious of my faith in the infallibility of the Pope, and you talk about the dangers of trusting in the judgment of one man on spiritual matters, but isn't it more dangerous to leave these matters up to comparatively ignorant and ungodly individuals? I would think you'd be lost without the leadership of one who speaks for God, just as the judge-less Israelites each did what was right in his own eyes. How can you hope to follow God without a God-ordained guide?"

"But we do have a guide," the Protestant would of course reply. "We have the Bible, our instruction manual for life, which is inspired by God, free from error, and contains everything God needs us to know in order to live as He desires. Furthermore, we each have the Holy Spirit, the Counselor, who tells us how to understand the Bible and apply it to our lives."

"Yes, that all sounds very nice, but surely you can see that it doesn't work. The Bible is a pretty confusing guidebook at the best of times. Look around you! Look at all the denominations you Bible-believers have split into. Each one is convinced that their own understanding of Biblical commands is correct and all the others are wrong. Don't you see that well-meaning Christians can no more agree on the meaning of the Bible than secular readers can agree on the meaning of other books?"

To a certain extent I'm quite happy for people to believe that the Bible is absolute truth and strive to understand and apply it. Generally they seem to miss the ugly stuff and come away with ideas centered more or less around love. Generally.

And yet there are always dangers of taking anything to be an unquestionable authority - regardless of whether it really is infallible - especially when that authority is an inanimate object that can't speak for it's self. First of all, we have a tendency to want to remake the Bible in our own image. (I'm not saying you do this. Heavens no! I mean people less in tune with the Spirit than you are.) It's easy to develop our own opinions and then go searching in the Bible for proof that we're right. Of course, this is usually done subconsciously, but I don't think I need to convince you that it is indeed done. (If I do, please let me know.) What's dangerous about this sort of selective reading is that once we find the verse that supports our (unconsciously) pre-formed conclusion, we believe that our opinion is unquestionable TRUTH. In my opinion, an unwavering, unassailable conviction that you're right may be the most dangerous thing in the world. It naturally precludes any further reflection or scrutiny (why bother with logic when you have the word of God?), and leads to patronizing, scorning or hating of those who disagree (imagine being so misguided/stupid/wicked as not to see THE TRUTH). It's also worth noting that these unpleasant side-effects can accompany unquestioning Bible-belief even if you manage to avoid interpreting the Bible through your own preconceptions. And of course, just because you come in with an open mind doesn't mean you'll leave with the correct interpretation. (Well, I guess many people believe that the Spirit won't allow you to be mistaken if you're sincere, but since this belief tends to be held dogmatically, I'm not sure it's worth my time to argue against it.)

I'm honestly not interested in convincing you that the Bible's not infallible. If you can't live without a "fixed point of reference", the Bible probably as good a choice as any. But please don't believe your interpretation of the Bible is infallible.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacob -
I wish I could post on your newest entry but its just not my 'cup of tea.' I do want to follow up on my post a couple weeks ago. You brought up an interesting point that God could be looked on as a Racist because He was endlessly patient with the Isrealites, yet smited the nations that stood against them. I find it interesting because the word I would prefer would be 'faitist.' God specifically made a covenant with Abraham because Abraham showed great faith (I'm sure you're familiar with the story: Isaac is about to be sacrificed by Abraham, God stops him...) I believe that it is because of this covenant that God made with Abraham that the Isrealites protected and forgiven so many times. And its also for this reason that I personally believe that genuine Jewish people will goto heaven. Just because God made a new covenant with the world doesnt mean that the old one is invalid. I just believe the new one is a better way to become closest to God. Hope this clears up my meaning and gives you some other things to think about...

And hopefully my own blog will be up soon (with meaningful posts :) )

Andrew

Jacob said...

Andrew, you're welcome to continue commenting on old posts. I'm notified by e-mail of new comments, so you won't get missed. (For that matter, you could also e-mail me.) But since you brought it up, you're right that God was patient with the Israelites because of his covenant with Abraham. What is troubling about this is that God chose certain people to be born as Israelites and others (the vast majority) not to be. The first group were then treated with endless patience, not because of their own actions but solely on the basis of their genetic material, and the second group is damned for the same reason. This is textbook racism.

I also believe that sincere modern day Jews will go to heaven, but I believe the same about sincere Canaanites and Edomites and Philistines.

I'll look forward to reading your blog. Send me your address when it's up.

Anonymous said...

what about all the times where Isrealites complain about everyone around them(evil nations) seem to be getting on fine while their life sucks and they are held to a higher standard and are punished for little stuff compared to what other people are doing?

Jacob said...

Good point. I guess we'd have to decide whether the Israelites were right to envy the "evil" nations around them. True, in many cases Israel was held to a higher standard, but although they were often punnished (as a race, which still seems unjust) they were never destroyed, even when their sins were greater than those of the nations wiped out before them. Israel's punnishment was comparatively just, whereas other nations were destroied in moments of wrath against their ancestor's sins. And of course the injustice is infinitely greater if you hold the view that pre-Messianic Jews go to heaven, whereas all other pre-Messianic peoples go to hell.

Michelle said...

sometimes I wish this would all just go away. sometimes religion makes me mad. why can't things just be simple?

Anonymous said...

Ahh But you must remeber that God had a plan for all this... and does anyone know the specific verse in the old testament that says ALL the nations that were smited went to hell? (seriously I think there might be one but I don't know it.) For all we know God could have extended His grace to them (the better peoples in the nations- Rehab for instance) and saved them. I've also noticed that God used these to make a point to the world, that He was the Creater, and all Powerful. And most of the time it was also to save Isreals butt. I find this conforting that God is a God of action and is willing to act when we are in trouble. And what you said on racism... I could very well be mistaken but wasn't there more to the destruction of the nations then just their birth... I mean all of them were immoral and wicked weren't they? Heck some of them even worshipped the devil! These people definately did not love or revere God, and their actions showed it. I definately think they recieved God's wrath because of their actions, not their heritage. But if you have scripture that says otherwise, please let me know so I can correct my error. :) All this talk of God's wrath reminds me of the flood (Noahs Ark...) Jacob what are your views of that? Do you think it covered the entire globe or just that part of the world? Just some things to ponder

Andrew

Anonymous said...

to andrew.
Please, for the love of God, stop reading the damn Bible, especially with your completely terrible ways of talking about it. you should read only fables a legends so you don't get all screwed up like that.

Jacob said...

Andrew: Actually life after death isn't really an Old Testament concept at all. So no, the Bible (at least the OT) says nothing about all the nations going to hell. Though come to think of it, Jesus talks about both OT and contemporary cities being present at the day of judgement, and either being lifted up or going down into the depths (Mt 11), though aparently judgement will be more bearable for some than for others. I'm not sure what exactly this says about damnation of the cities God destroys. The focus of justice in the OT is on prosperity vs. destruction for your descendents, which I certainly don't claim to understand. I tend to think that if God's mad enough with someone to kill them, he probably doesn't want to spend the rest of eternity with them. But I think we can only speculate about who will or won't be pardoned at the final judgement.

It's true that the generation that God judges generally is a wicked one, but what's unjust about this is that he is bringing judgement against them both for their own sins and for their ancestors', who escaped judgement. My comment that God seems to be racist are based on him dishing out judgement to EVERYONE of a particular city or race, based on the actions of the majority, or even of just the king. This is like saying "Germans deserve death because of the Holocost", or "People of British descent deserve death because of what they did to Native Americans." (As a person of British decent, I would of course object that it wasn't ME who did these terrible things. But OT justice would hold me responsible.)

I don't know what the flood covered, if there was a flood. I'm not a geologist, and I haven't given it much thought.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous posts make me laugh... But what you said does make me wonder whats so wrong with my 'terrible ways of talking about it'...? Sorry if i offended you in anyway. Harsh man

Andrew

Anonymous said...

andrew... if you laughed then i didn't mean it. totally sorry.