Undisciplined

Two things:
1) December's up on my journal.
2) I've changed my email address. psalm13@hotmail.com got a buttload of junk mail, so I've switched to gmail. (Note that it's 13thpsalm this time, not psalm13, because some other punk has psalm13@gmail.)
And now for the main event:

"If you're not reading your Bible daily, you're not giving yourself much of a chance as a Christian"

That's an approximate quote from the speaker at the camp I attended last weekend. Statements like this always bother me. I don't read my Bible daily. I used to - I dutifully read 2 chapters a day, every day upon awaking, for maybe a year and a half once. Never really got anything out of it. Well, I'm sure I gained knowledge about what the Bible says, but I never enjoyed it and I never noticed any effect it had on my life. It was just something I made myself do because I was supposed to. It was pure religion.

These days I read my Bible in little spurts. I haul it out when I want to do a study of some doctrine or understand some difficult passage, but there are weeks when it never leaves my bedroom floor. When I do read it's far more often with an intellectual focus than out of some desire to "grow closer to God", whatever that means.

I have trouble thinking of good reasons to pray. Quick story: I once spent a day talking with a homeless guy in Vancouver. At the end of our talk I asked him if I could pray for him, and he said yes. I asked him what I should pray, and he said that it would rain money. ("Small denominations are ok - tens and twenties.") That wasn't what I was hoping for, but I told him I would pray that for him, and I have. Infrequently. Awkwardly. Briefly. But whenever I think of that guy I pray that God would make it rain money for him. If you ask me to pray for you I will, sporadically yet dutifully, but I have a suspicion that the encouragement brought by saying "I'll pray for you" does more practical good for a person than any amount of prayer.

I used to think that it was bad for me to stand in Church and sing worship songs if I wasn't thinking about the words. These days I often try not to think about the words I sing because I disagree with so many of them. I look at worship (meaning singing) as something I do for God to show my devotion to him. It's far more about the act of acknowledging God's existence and presence (or my belief therein) then about affirming any kind of doctrine in the songs. And it certainly has nothing to do with any emotions I might feel.

I've tried fasting maybe two or three times, and never for more than a couple days. The result of depriving myself from food is that I become really miserable and grouchy and all I can think about is food. Some people say fasting removes distractions and allows us to focus on prayer. Maybe for some of you, but not for me. For me there are few things more distracting than fasting. How am I supposed to focus on praying about stuff when all I can think about is food? Other people say depriving ourselves of food shows the ugliness of our true natures. Well ya, because my body needs food to survive. Try depriving me of oxygen and I'll become pretty miserable too. Would suffocation reveal my "true nature"? I honestly think that banging my head against the wall at regular intervals, cutting myself with knives like the prophets of Baal or any other method of self torture would accomplish just as much spiritual good as the "spiritual discipline" of fasting.

I have no idea what "listening to God" means. To me this is on par with Hindu ideas about reaching higher states of reality through meditation. I'm not going to go around telling other people they can't listen to God or transcend the physical world or whatever, but I have no idea how or even if I could achieve something like this myself.

My intuition and experience tells me that I'm naturally different from other people and I can't expect what works for others to work for me. I've found some things that do work for me and I should be happy with doing those things. Maybe it's just jealousy that makes me wish prayer worked for me the way it worked for Brother Lawrence or Jim Cymbala or that reading my Bible could become something that I'd cherish and that would bring me closer to God. But on the other hand maybe these things will work for me, and I just gave up too soon. Maybe if I could somehow force myself to pray more or if I just kept fasting long enough, then maybe there would be some kind of payoff. Ok, I don't actually believe that, but I do feel uneasy just shrugging off the tried-and-true methods of godly old preachers. I'm cautious of saying, "Ya, I'm not like you. I've got my own stuff that I do; yours doesn't work for me." I don't want to miss out on the obvious answers because I'm so busy being special, and I don't want to tell some guy three times my age that he doesn't know what he's talking about. What do I know anyway? Bah, I'm silly. A reed swayed by the wind.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I felt the same way when he said that at camp.

Lately I've been very wary of absolutes. I've been rethinking the things that I've come to understand as basic truth... more along the lines of unimportant doctine and tradition and stuff. It seems to me that so much of what we do and say and write in our churches is based on something other than the bible. Like songs... we say these things and try to mean them, but sometimes it's impossible. Really and truly impossible, ridiculous even. I know how you feel.

I've been taught that the Catholics are silly and they focus so much on tradition and religion that they miss the real point. I have no idea if that is true. I can say with some confidence however that it is completly true for me. I sing songs that I don't mean, I trick myself in't believing that I really will pray for someone when I say I will.. etc.

For me right now, I've decided that making any sort of absolute statements regarding faith, besides basic ones like "Jesus is the Christ"... are very dangerous indeed. I have been trying to find out what the Bible actually says about these things. So much of what I've been taught is tradition and religion, which is not necessarily wrong or bad, but I think we often miss the point and don't see the true generousity and love that Jesus was preaching.

Anyhow, some brain spewing there... It's late, I hope I made sense.
I've found "A Generous Orthodoxy" by Brian McLaren to be extremely refreshing. You may want to check it out, you may not.

Jacob said...

You're at least the four hundredth person to recommend "A Generous Orthodoxy" to me. Impressive buzz. I'm planning to read it soon.

I don't know to what extent we can free ourselves from religion and tradition. We're all a product of our influences, and if we react against the old religions and traditions we're probably just replacing them with new ones. Not to say that we shouldn't try to find the real stuff or that good things won't come of it, but we probably won't succeed.

Out of curiosity, why do you draw the line at basic statements like "Jesus is the Christ"? Why not question that too? (That's not neccessarily a suggestion.)

Hacksaw Duck said...

I appreciate the honesty or your comments.

What amazes me about the legalistic demand that all Christians study their Bibles regularly is that Jesus never seemed to place this demand on anyone. And where are all the Pauline entreaties that the various churches keep their noses planted in their Torahs?

Some people don't like to read. Some don't like to study. There's nothing wrong with this -- they probably like doing other good things that the studiers don't like.

And yet I've heard the criticism of "intellectually laziness" thrown around to describe non-readers and non-studiers.

The lady in the group who doesn't read is lazy, even though she cooks meals for sick neighbors and performs a thousand acts of kindness that the ivory-tower scholar won't touch (he's too busy reading).

When Jesus spoke of the Judgment, he never said it would be a Bible quiz.