Something Like a Creed

Kinda wish I could figure stuff out. You know, come to some conclusions. Or even just keep my thoughts straight. I'm painfully aware that the search for truth is beyond me. I'm a blind man in a basement, searching for the sun. Every so often my thoughts get all tangled up and I forget what I'm thinking or where I'm going, and then I have to stop and sift through my memory and dredge up some thought I had a year ago that necessitates the things I do today. Maybe I should write out what I know.

  • I exist.
  • I am imperfect.
  • I have desires that are unfulfilled.
I think that's about it. Now some of my major beliefs:

  • There is an external world that more or less resembles my perceptions.
  • I am not (especially) insane.
  • I am worthy of love.
  • I was not made to exist as I do now. I was meant for something different or more.
  • There is a God whose attributes are similar to those seen in the Bible.
  • The universe was created by God.
  • God was and is involved in our world in a wide variety of ways, both tangible and intangible.
  • God loves me.
  • God's love is less evident to me than it ought to be. Something inhibits him from showing his love, or me from perceiving it. I'm not sure what this might be, but I suspect that it will remain this way for the rest of my life.
  • I will die some day, and then I will experience the love and intimacy with God that I desire.
  • The Bible is largely a result of revelations of God - times when he was more visibly active in the world, or the experiences of people to whom he spoke more clearly. It contains both truth and error.
  • I have friends and family who love me. These people are somehow an expression (though an imperfect one) of God's love for me.
  • I am unhappy.
  • I have a strong desire to discover truth, or failing that, to expose falsehood.
  • I don't have the necessary abilities to accomplish these goals.
Some of my more recent, potentially more transient beliefs:
  • I will likely continue to identify myself as a Christian for some time.
  • Identifying one's self as a Christian (or fitting other's definitions of a Christian) is not necessary for having a relationship with God, either before or after death. Conversely, being a Christian (by any conventional definition) does not assure you of anything - no specific divine promises, no certain feelings or experience, no ticket to "heaven".
  • What you believe is far less important (both practically and in the eyes of God) than the motives behind your beliefs, and how you act them. No sincere beliefs - even those that I feel are irrational or morally abhorrent - are inherently wrong or damning. If there is one thing necessary for pleasing God it might be humility.
  • God is not an irrational being, but neither does he act in ways that can be anticipated or understood by humans.
  • I cannot fully understand another person's circumstances, motives, feelings or thoughts. Therefore as much as possible I should avoid passing judgment on others, and not presume to know them.
  • I cannot fully understand my own circumstances, motives, feelings or thoughts. As much as possible I should not regard myself as an expert on me.
  • The purpose of my life is to increase in love and service of others. This should be my goal and should override all other pursuits, with the possible exception of the search for truth.
These lists are (of course) not comprehensive - mostly just stuff off the top of my head. What do you think? Want clarification on some point? Want to share some list of your own?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What do you mean when you say that the Bible includes both truth and error?
I'm not sure I agree, but I don't suppose that really matters. Please elaborate.

Jacob said...

Basically I'm saying that the Bible - like any other book - was written by human beings who are prone to error. I do not currently hold the common Christian belief that these writers were somehow exempt from the human capacity for error when they sat down to write what later became the books of our Bible. ("Error" could mean anything from minor historical inaccuracies to misconceptions and false teachings about God.) If you want to know why I reject this belief, the following (rather long) posts may be of interest:

http://livingpsalm13.blogspot.com/2004/11/bible_30.html

http://livingpsalm13.blogspot.com/2004/12/bible-part-2.html